what I'm doing, what I'm seeing, what I'm thinking

blog HOME
website www.kathydalwood.com
email: kathy@kathydalwood.com
instagram: kathydalwood
twitter: kathydalwood
subscribe button on side bar

13/03/2010

Architecture: Allotment Sheds

I’m not the first person to be drawn to allotment sheds – so much is interesting about them. In a way they are the archetypal shelter – pure simplicity and function, constructed – or more aptly recycled – from any practical materials, off-cuts and cast-offs to hand, with no consideration to style. It is this unconsciousness which perhaps makes them so elemental and interesting.


As architecture, I think they have a very strong presence in the landscape and a kind of purity it’s hard to find in many ‘designed’ structures.



The history of corrugated iron is fascinating - I love the material as it gives such an interesting surface to structures and changes continually as it weathers. 













I often think if you are short of ideas for a colour scheme just look at a scene like this - everything works together with no effort!









It's the mixture of different materials and patterns in one structure which make it so visually interesting








This is the coolest 'planter' I've seen for a long time!






1 comment:

  1. I adore your architectural work you have done here in this blog.In a way they are the archetypal Shelter pure simplicity and function, constructed or more aptly recycled from any practical materials, off-cuts and cast-offs to hand, with no consideration to style.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...