what I'm doing, what I'm seeing, what I'm thinking

blog HOME
website www.kathydalwood.com
email: kathy@kathydalwood.com
instagram: kathydalwood
twitter: kathydalwood
subscribe button on side bar

02/03/2012

Josephine - plaster bust

I'm not giving out any prizes for guessing how I arrived at this one's name!

Suffice it to say that it was the purchase of a souvenir at the  battlefield of Waterloo in Belgium which provided my inspiration for this bust.

Napoleonic hats are hard to make by the way!  I decided it would be more cool to just have one side. 

 Peeling back the silicone mould from the original sculpture.









I was interested to discover during my research into Napoleonic uniform that it was Napoleon himself who changed the way the tradition hats were worn by turning his sideways - cool dude! Everyone else copied him ofcourse.



 One side of the costume is pure Napoleonic - the other is based on an amazing asymmetrical outfit by Victor + Rolf. I love their sculptural designs.












  











 Had to throw in a reference to the Tricolour of course!
Shame he lost - but less said about that the better - I don't want to upset my French friends....
Poor Josephine - what a doomed love affair!


1 comment:

  1. HAHA!! I love Victor + Rolf's designs as well. They are sculptors that work with textiles.

    It is interesting to see your work and all of the influences that go into making them. Josephine is great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...