what I'm doing, what I'm seeing, what I'm thinking

blog HOME
website www.kathydalwood.com
email: kathy@kathydalwood.com
instagram: kathydalwood
twitter: kathydalwood
subscribe button on side bar

14/11/2009

Architecture: church bell tower cages

I was intrigued by these elegant structures perched on Romanesque church bell towers like bird cages - they looked like black ink drawings on the sky.
The linear, transparent constructions seem ethereal in contrast to the monolithic simplicity of the stone towers.
They seem to have been a tradition in the Nimes area of southern France.
















1 comment:

  1. Kathy.... see if you can find a copy of PROVENCE DES CAMPANILES, it is a book all about these 'Campaniles' and it is so interesting they are named after Campanula the flower whose dried seed heads are just like these blacksmiths masterpieces. I first saw the book in that amazing Paris museum, Arts et Traditions Populaire but by some magic a friend from Camden found me a copy signed by the author in 1969.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...